Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Kumihimo & Red Creek Jasper Necklace





This was my first kumihimo braid I made for a piece of jewelry, I love getting into my fabric and embellishment stash and pulling out things to braid.  This braid has a bit of everything in it, I love the textures using different fibers produce.  I've had this necklace finished for a month or so, except for the end caps for the braid.  Everything I looked just didn't have the "heft"I felt this braid and the stones required.  As soon as I saw Krisit Bowman's  spiral copper end caps I knew they would be just right.  I also ordered several other pieces from Kristi and am really enjoying working with them.



5 comments:

  1. This is absolutely gorgeous. I've got the braiding disc, but haven't tried using it yet. I love the look. Is it hard to do with beads mixed in with the fibers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you.

      Braiding is easy, once you get the pattern of movements down I find it very relaxing. There is a trick to getting the beads on the outside of the braid, not hard to do once you know. If you decide to give it a try, I'll be happy to help.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very unique! I love the colors, I'm a fall color girl myself. I like how you've put both of the stones together & then worked some macrame (?) in there. Just found your site going through some old Beading Arts posts & saved the one that had your purple bead-weaving necklace in it, it's gorgeous!! How come you don't have it on your blog!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank-you Erica. Yes, that is macramé holding the donuts together and supporting the fringe. The Charoite necklace is in a post from July, check the archive at the bottom left.

    ReplyDelete